Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-21 14:43:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:39:22 -0400
Francis Swasey said:

>  As currently implemented, you are correct.  A stage or a clone or
>multiple recovers may be performed on the AFTD.  If a stage is running,

>clones and recovers have to wait for it to complete.

Hmmm... VTLs don't have that problem. ;)  OK, they sort of do.  You
can't restore from a tape that's currently being cloned, but you can
restore from other tapes.  It looks like the entire AFTD is held up
while cloning/staging is going on.

Assuming you were using 10 GB virtual tapes (and I think you should),
this would cause a maximum of a 3 minute delay for a given restore if
you were using a VTL and you had tape contention.  Here's my math: A 10
GB * 2:1 compression = a 20 GB tape.  At a clone speed of 100 MB/s
(which you should easily get if you bought the right one), that tape
will be cloned/destaged in about 3 minutes, allowing it to be used for a
waiting restore.

Another AFTD limitation that I've heard of, but haven't verified is that
the RO side of the AFTD is counted in some way against your device
count.  I don't know the details and haven't verified, but there are
some per server device limits that certain versions of NW have, and my
understanding is that the AFTD is counted as two against those numbers.
Can anyone verify that this is true or false?