Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-21 11:53:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:45:21 -0400
On Aug 21, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Peter Viertel wrote:

well I suppose that S stands for super then... :-)

So SAIT-1 ... I looked that up and the native transfer speed is
30MB/sec, so 45MB/s sounds valid... 70-90 sounds like compressible data
- so maybe there is a performance hit in your config somewhere..

A suggestion for a test might be to backup some pre-compressed data.
bzip2 is good for this - do a time comparison of backing up this same
data direct to tape and via adv_file...

Just grasping in the dark here - but what is the zpool config?
Raid-z?  Mirrors? Compression?

I don't know. I am not an OS guy. Our X4500 was set up by a Sun SE. The tests you suggested are interesting. Unfortunately, my X4500 is almost always busy doing tape backups, disk backups, or staging, so its difficult for me to find a window of time to do such testing.