Networker

Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file

2008-08-19 19:26:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Query in Staging from adv_file
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 19:21:08 -0400
So an AFTD can service multiple concurrent restore requests, but can't service
multiple destaging/cloning requests?

I still say the VTL is easier.  The difference is that a backup associated with
a given AFTD can only be cloned/destaged by the AFTD that stored it, where a
VTL allows any-to-any relationship of virtual drives.

If I have 20 virtual tapes and 20 virtual drives, I can clone/destage them all
at once, regardless of how many drives were used to create them.  If an AFTD
can only clone/destage one backup at once, and I want to be able to destage 20
AFTD backups, I have to make sure that each of them is on a separate AFTD.  I
don't think that's even possible, let alone practical.

Am I missing something?

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized