Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 client with NW 7.3.3 Server

2008-08-15 11:37:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 client with NW 7.3.3 Server
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:36:37 -0400
On Aug 15, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Francis Swasey wrote:

We have just connected our second or third Windows Server 2008 64- bit system to our existing NW 7.3.3 Server and are having issues with the VSS backup.

We installed the 64-bit NW 7.4.2 Windows client on the Microsoft Windows 2008 system.
These are the error messages we are getting:

* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ 3 retries attempted
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Get file
attributes returned error 2 for VSS file
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy16\windows \system32\slanac
cel.exe
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - ERROR: Failed
to save filegr files, writer = S
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Error saving
writer System Writer
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - ERROR:
Aborting backup of saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with
writer System Writer.
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ System Writer - Error saving
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ 39078:save: RPC error: RPC
cannot encode arguments
* CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ * CLIENT_NAME:VSS SYSTEM FILESET: \ 7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM
FILESET:\ to ozzie.uvm.edu failed

I have replaced the real client name with "CLIENT_NAME" in the above messages. A knowledgebase search on Powerlink has turned up one case where a reboot cleared the issue and there was no real knowledge of what the problem was.... before I open an issue with EMC.... Has anyone run into this and know what caused it?

NetWorker 7.3.3 pre-dates Windows 2008 so backups of it are not supported. In order to back up Windows 2008 servers, you need NetWorker 7.4 SP2 for your NetWorker server.