Networker

[Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade

2008-08-15 01:59:07
Subject: [Networker] recommendations for networker server upgrade
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 01:55:47 -0400
k_f_o wrote:
> It also might be interesting to know which slots you are using for your
> external connections.  As you can see from this link, all slots are not
> created equal.
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/pyakutis/resource/T2000_pcie.png
>
> -Kyle

I've been looking for something like that (though admittedly not very hard),
thank you.  :)  That's really no worse than, say, a V240 (except that uses
PCIe-8 instead of PCI and PCI-X).  And its still a sound upgrade from an E450.
:P

Like Yaron, I'm also very curious about the specs of the test T2000 box which
did not do well.  We've had several of them attached to other types of 'big
disk' (i.e. Sybase ASE/IQ) and only had issues where lots of little scripts
were running at full tilt.  I/O in general did not look too bad (coming from
someone who's dealt with 4 generations of SSD disk), though for the app in
question (which was actually CPU bound and not thread-ready), an x4600 did
better on all counts and was used instead.

All our T2K are 6-core, 1 Ghz, 8 gig mem.  They've otherwise been OK I/O
monsters and reasonable consolidation hosts (using LDOM).

--TSK