Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-08-13 11:22:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: Eddie Albert <EAlbert AT earthlink DOT net>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:14:57 -0400
I love this question, my responses are in-line below...

> From: EMC NetWorker discussion
> [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On Behalf Of Lancy Quadros
>
> I am looking at using barcode labels. Having no experience using barcode
> labels, I would very much appreciate if the group can comment/provide
> input on the following:
>
> 1. Is it good to buy pre-printed barcode labels or buy a printer?

First I would throw in the 3rd option, buy tapes pre-labeled from your tape
supplier. From personal experience, once you start using pre-labeled media,
you won't need manual or printed labels. In 5 years I have had two barcodes
smeared by media management folks. Both times I contacted my media supplier
and they shipped a new barcode label for us at no cost.

> 2. We currently have different label templates to identify
> the different
> backups. For example Database backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_DB.nnn'
> and OS backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_OS.nnn'. Are there ways in
> Networker to maintain similar templates while using barcode labels for
> example: for OS backups could be O123456 and database backups could be
> P123456?

This depends on a number of things.
        A. Your organizations size.
        B. Your retention requirements.
        C. Do you have a current runbook/turnover folder that a monkey could
pickup and read and understand if you get run over by reindeer?
        D. Does your labeling make sense for a restore 7 years from now
(compare with if you had to perform a restore from 2001 today).

> 3. Advantages/disadvantages using barcode labels in general.

The old adage your time is money, the cost for pre-labeled tape is pennies
more. When you are doing a restore from 3 years ago, networker asks you to
load tape ABCDEF it does not matter to networker what system you have.

> 4. Any known issues using barcode labels with Networker.

The ONLY contingency to plan for is the rare occasion that you end up with
an unreadable barcode label. In the past 5 years the only two time this
happened is when the media management folks eat fast-food and don't wipe
their hand before handling the tapes.

In closing I would say pick a good company to provide your media and
hopefully you can stick with them and they with you while your organization
grows.

My personal favorite supplier (while working at the Pentagon) was ISSI Data,
Travis Means is his name... They were special because they really work with
you to come up with a labeling scheme that works. Also they have a program
for tracking how much media you use and they will contact you when it is
time to re-order.

Also remember there are many ways to organize by labels, don't forget to add
COLOR into the mix. (Blue for database, Green for public information, red
for privacy act information, etc...) Modern barcodes are still only 6
characters but when you add the alphabet and numbers you have 36 characters
to the 6th power... And then add color...

I read some of the other responses, putting the year in the tape label is
good if you are small enough to label your own, but if you order them
labeled and say you have tapes left over from 2008 into March of 2009?
/shrug there are a lot of variables...only you can determine what is good
for your organization.

I hope my ramblings have been helpful...

Semper fidelis et paratus! (Always faithful & prepared) /ALE