Networker

[Networker] saveset sizes?

2008-08-13 04:35:06
Subject: [Networker] saveset sizes?
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 04:31:54 -0400
Jeff Allison wrote:

> 4: Does anyone have any other great ideas I should be think of???
> Jeff

* Removed my own answers since Preston answered 1-3 better than I could ;) *

4) I try hard to explain/educate that partitions/drives/etc should not exceed
100 gig (36 gig in Solaris) if they want their backup to run nightly (and large
weekend Full backups are extremely prone to getting killed during extended
maintenance periods).  An alternative is to setup 'targeted' mini-backups,
either from directives (next paragraph) or custom, manual backups.  YMMV
depending on how critical/rare the data is.

I recently undertook (spurned on by the nonsense with Solaris 10's bloat) a
campaign to have any Solaris 'Dev' box skip most of the 'core' components of
the OS.  We create servers with an insanely customized Jumpstart configuration
(which I help to co-maintain), so this is not an issue here.  I don't do skips
on Windows boxes, other than preventing certain files (i.e. MP3  *rolleyes*) on
the CIFS share from being covered.

[In answering to Preston's note about NULL - I don't normally have an issue
with skip in the cases I apply them, as we primarily skip on the file level.
Any directories skipped are usually boot-disk related and so are handled by
Jumpstart.  Again, YMMV and I understood the risks when I started it...]

--TSK