Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I make a pool RO on one set of devices, and RW on another?

2008-08-12 04:05:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I make a pool RO on one set of devices, and RW on another?
From: Thierry FAIDHERBE <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:01:30 +0200
Hello Michael,

Assuming that lib1 and 2's devices are not connected to same hosts
(in other words, a storage node not using devices from both lib 1 and 2),
you could achieve such a setting when playing with clone storage node
affinity and allow Sdlt320 and Sdlt600 in your pool "CLONE".
In case of mixed device type per storage node, restrict devices from pool
to not allow that/these device(s) or to restrict to 1 single type.

If you did not list in Clone Storage Node (CSN) affinity the SN that
has/have
connection to Sdlt600 devs, Legato will never write to these devices
but you can always recover from by mounting tapes manually.

To be mounted and usable for reading, do neither forget media type of the
volume
(that is set at volume label time by labelling device) must be the same than

your
device setting in legato (device type). So, if the Tape device is defined as

SDLT600
and medium labelled on a SDLT320 device, networker will refuse to
mount the volume, claiming on different media type (although hardware may
support it!)

For the rest, no other way, I think ....

HTH

Thierry

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM - Administration Centrale
Département des Systèmes d'Information

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel: + 32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Fax: + 32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be