Networker

Re: [Networker] Phrase missing from daemon.log

2008-08-10 23:47:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Phrase missing from daemon.log
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:42:56 +1000
Hi Curtis,

On 11/08/2008, at 1:10 PM, Curtis Preston wrote:

In combing the daemon.log file in 7.3.2, 7.3.4, and 7.4.2 (using
nsr_render_log), I've noticed that a crucial message that used to be
there isn't there any more. Here's an example:

11/04/06 11:19:54 nsrd: media info: loading volume ABC1234 into
rd=host.dom.domain:/dev/nst1

This was the only line in daemon.log that told you what tape went into
what drive. Other lines tell you what tape went to what backup, but not
what backup went to what drive.

Did anyone else notice this line disappearing?  If so, have you talked
to support about it?

Typically only look for this when I've got a customer with media errors that I need to track, so I've not looked for it for a while.

Looking at a lab 7.4.2 server here though the message is definitely not produced - the only notification of a volume being in a drive that I can see is where the volume fills - at that point there's enough information provided to indicate what drive it came from.

Definitely worth talking to support about though.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out September 17 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com