Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over

2008-08-10 23:15:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 SP2 - How to start over
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:13:45 -0400
I've rarely seen a NW instance that needed that drastic of a step.  Unless
they've make tweaks to the OS, then all you really need to do is do delete and
the group and client configs and reboot them.

BUT, if it'll make you feel better to completely start over, there's no reason
you should lose your old tapes.

You basically need to follow the standard DR practice:

* do a full index and bootstrap backup and mark what tape has it
* rebuild your OS
* install NW from your source media
* apply patches
* restore your index
* this will also restore your groups, etc, so you'll want to delete those and
build new ones

You'll still have all your old backups to restore from, even if clients changed
names in the process.

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized