Networker

[Networker] Migrating old media db and indexes to new Networker install?

2008-08-07 04:55:52
Subject: [Networker] Migrating old media db and indexes to new Networker install?
From: Maverick <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 04:30:17 -0400
Well, if the new server is already up and running and have begun to perform
backups (i.e. reinstall is not an option) then no, there is no way (to my
knowledge anyway) to "migrate" the old media db short of using scanner on the
tapes to get them into the media db on the new server. This is due to the fact
that the client id of the backup servers are different.

What one should to in a case like this is to read through the admin guide and
look for the "renaming a networker server" chapter. You are switching to a new
physical server, yes, but NetWorker does not know that. So basicly, it´s a name
change of the server, and when doing this you must retain the old client id of
the server. Only then can the new server with the new name (but old client id)
use the old media db.

In this case, the best option would be to just keep the old server running
alongside the new, for restore capabilities. If there is a license issue (you
have moved the licenses to the new host), then take the old one of the network
and plug it in when you need to perform a recover, or stock up on temporary
licenses so you're set for a month or so.

Or, just keep it up so you can perform mminfo queries and locate what tape(s)
are needed for recover. The just run scanner on those tape on the new host.
Make sure your mminfo query contains the mediafile and mediarec report flags.
Scanner will run faster if you supply the exact location of the saveset on the
tape.

That´s my opinion anyway.

Cheers!