Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrjobd fubar in 7.3.4 and 7.4 SP2?

2008-08-06 17:50:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrjobd fubar in 7.3.4 and 7.4 SP2?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 00:46:51 +0300
rmumford wrote:
Hello all, we are seeing the same issues, move jobsdb and sometimes the tmp folder and all is well for a few days, then problems start to snowball again. These are WIN 2003 servers. EMC recommended the 3 day jobs retention and jobsdb max size 40MB setting for our config, but I was also wondering if more is better. Looks like not neccesarily so.

I changed that to 100Mb and 10 days. As you can see below, I get 6Mb/day for my environment (300 clients). After reading their KB article, it seems that you want to increase the size to a very large number and play only with the time limit.

After changing these settings, I found out that the bootstrap backup is also doing the jobsdb directory. This caused my bootstrap to increase its size and files dramatically with some severe impact on bootstrap backup time

legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=incr, 102 MB 02:53:46 54212 files legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=incr, 102 MB 03:02:51 54202 files legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=full, 102 MB 03:15:16 54199 files legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=full, 102 MB 02:55:21 54212 files legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=full, 102 MB 03:04:13 54202 files legato.tau.ac.il: bootstrap level=incr, 102 MB 03:17:48 54312 files

Does anyone know if changing the jobsdb max size is dynamic or is a restart required?

I am not so sure no restart is required, you can however check its size as in and see the impact:

# du -sk /nsr/res/jobsdb/
61736   /nsr/res/jobsdb

  Also you can find in daemon.log the following lines:

# grep nsrjobd /nsr/logs/daemon.log
08/06/08 14:37:36 nsrjobd: Purged 166 records from the jobs database based on the time policy 08/06/08 16:40:00 nsrjobd: Purged 2 records from the jobs database based on the time policy

Thanks

|This was sent by rmumford AT eastman DOT com via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.