Networker

Re: [Networker] solaris to linux migration

2008-07-29 16:28:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] solaris to linux migration
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:26:51 -0400
On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:18 PM, George Sinclair wrote:

David Gold-news wrote:
Hi George,
It works, you have to use mmrecov to move the res and mm over, but it isn't officially supported, as you noted. Indexes can actually be rsync'ed over, so you don't have to do them all at once, rather than having to restore them from tape. After you migrate, you'll have to manually edit the res (via nsradmin in offline mode--nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb, when networker is shut down) to fix the difference in notifications between Solaris and Linux.

Thanks, Dave. What are the differences in notifications?

In NetWorker, if you have notifications set so they send email, note that the path for "mail" and "mailx" differs on Linux and Solaris. Its /bin/mail on Linux and /usr/bin/mail on Solaris. You can fix that sort of stuff in the NetWorker Management Console GUI easily enough. Speaking of the NWMC, if you are thinking about running it under Linux, think again. Its not supported under Linux.

Licensing will go into grace mode for 15 days, so just make sure the original box is shut down, or at least networker is first. Other than that (and a few other details--stinit.def and similar stuff), just follow the normal steps on "how to replace a networker server with a new box, using the same hostname as the original one".

We're using an /etc/stinit.def file currently, but that's only on our Linux snodes since they have the tape libraries. There are no tape devices on the Solaris primary server. I guess that will all stay the same then.

Using the same host name as the original seems to be the recommended approach. I've heard it eliminates a lot of headaches. Would be easier, though, from a logistics perspective to use a different host name, but that might create a lot of additional work on the backup side to change everything, I'm sure.

This depends on how you have your clients set up. We modify each client's NetWorker start up file and /nsr/res/servers files to point to the name of our NetWorker server. If you change your NetWorker server's name, you need to reflect that change on each client, which can be a major project if you have a lot of clients in your data zone. You will also need to re-register your licenses. Also, if you change names and IP addresses on your NetWorker server, you need to contact EMC to re-register your licenses.