Networker

[Networker] 7.4 from Solaris to Linux?

2008-07-25 12:49:30
Subject: [Networker] 7.4 from Solaris to Linux?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:34:15 -0400
Kind of a dumb question here, but would there be any reason to believe that NW 7.4 on a Solaris primary backup server could not be transferred to a RH Linux primary server any less so than NW 7.2.2 could?

We are anticipating moving our NW server from Solaris to Linux - yes, that's a whole other discussion that has been hashed out many times on this forum - but we will not have this Linux machine available for some time. In the meantime, we would like to upgrade our current Solaris NW 7.2.2 server to 7.4. I would think that later down the road, we could simply install the same release (whatever that might be at that point) on the Linux box and recover our indexes, resource and media databases from tape (basically a disaster recovery) to allow the proper conversion and *best* avoid any possible byte ordering problems between the two OS, even though not officially supported by EMC-Legato (ahem). That sound right?

Thanks for any comments.

We're running 7.2.2 on Solaris 9 with two RH Linux snodes. Not sure what RH version we would be transferring the primary server to, though.

George

--
George Sinclair
NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center