Networker

Re: [Networker] NMO 4.2 versus 4.5?

2008-07-24 18:19:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMO 4.2 versus 4.5?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:17:09 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:

Question here on the benefits and/or need to go from NMO 4.2 to 4.5
Seems odd they jumped from 4.2 to 4.5. Hmm ...

anyway, we're using NMO 4.2 on two RH Linux boxes, each running Oracle 10.2.0.2 and we're running NW 7.2.2 now on those and the primary server. We're planning an upgrade, however, to a newer NW server release - most likely 7.4 SP2. As part of the upgrade plan, the issue of how this might affect Oracle came up.

According to the EMC Information Protection Software Compatibility Guide, it looks like both NMO 4.2 and 4.5 are supported for our version of Oracle.

1. Should we upgrade our current NMO from 4.2 to 4.5 also?

Look carefully at the compatibility guide. NMO 4.5 is not compatible with NW 7.2.2. So you can upgrade NMO after you upgrade NetWorker if you like, but you don't have to.

2. Should we also upgrade the client to 7.4 SP2? I know our regular clients don't need to be upgraded immediately, but for the two that run Oracle, maybe they should ASAP after upgrading the primary server?

Upgrade in this order:

NW server.
NW storage nodes AT THE SAME TIME AS THE SERVER
NW clients at your leisure
NMO after clients, if you like.