Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems Backing up Windows Cluster

2008-07-22 10:40:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems Backing up Windows Cluster
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:39:40 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/22/2008 04:03:13 AM:

> Hi,
>
> We have an issue with the way networker is backing up our Windows
> cluster environment. We are backing up to networker 7.3.3 on Solaris
> 10. I've trawled through docs and not found anything so hopefully
> someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> Our Windows cluster is set up in an active/active mode, single
> virtual node and 2 physical nodes. On the physical nodes only the
> local drives are backed up. On the virtual node all other
> drives/shares are backed up. (I am a unix admin so my knowledge of
> windows clusters is sketchy at best)
>
> In order to get a good backup we have to move all cluster groups,
> which contain our shared drives, onto the same physical node as the
> quorum. Even though we do save with the 'save -c virtual' command on
> the virtual client backup we still miss any drives that are not
> associated with the same physical node as the quorum.

I'm not the greatest Windows clustering guy around, but we have an
active/active cluster, with 2 "virtual clients" (my boss always yells at
me, telling me to call them "cluster resources" ;-)).

Anyway, right now my quorum drive is on physical node #2, and I backed up
both virtual clients last night. I only backup the physical nodes every
weekend, because there's not a whole lot on there that changes - all the
data is on cluster resource drives (in my case, SQL databases), which are
assigned to a group (i.e.,group "SQL2" has the resources of a virtual
client name, IP address, and drives assigned for it's use); group "SQL4"
has similar resources assigned to it. SQL2 is mounted on node #1, along
with the MS DTC group; SQL4 is mounted on node #2, along with the quorum
group). And last night, I backed up both virtual clients - SQL2 and SQL3,
along with data from the drives assigned to each of those groups.

Hope that helps.

> My question is - is this the way it is supposed to work? Does
> networker require an active/passive cluster setup?

No. I have a few of those, too.