Networker

Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!

2008-07-18 23:24:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Barcode labels - Questions!!
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:21:36 -0400
On Jul 18, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Lancy Quadros wrote:

We have traditionally been manually labeling our tapes. I want to
eliminate the manual process of peeling the label included with the
tape, handwrite the text according to the label template created in
Networker and then load the tape into the library.

I am looking at using barcode labels. Having no experience using barcode
labels, I would very much appreciate if the group can comment/provide
input on the following:

1. Is it good to buy pre-printed barcode labels or buy a printer?

That's up to you. I prefer pre-printed labels, but you can certainly print your own as long as you know what format your tape library supports. Whenever I order new tapes, I just specify that I want them with labels.

2. We currently have different label templates to identify the different
backups. For example Database backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_DB.nnn'
and OS backups are labeled as 'BK_PROD_OS.nnn'. Are there ways in
Networker to maintain similar templates while using barcode labels for
example: for OS backups could be O123456 and database backups could be
P123456?

Yes, but it also depends on your tape library. Check the documentation for your library with regard to how it expects pre-printed labels to be printed.

3. Advantages/disadvantages using barcode labels in general.

The only disadvantage I can see to using pre-printed labels is the extra expense of paying for them, but its much less costly then my time.

4. Any known issues using barcode labels with Networker.

None that I am aware of. I with well over 1,000 tapes in my inventory and more being added every few months, there's no way I would use anything but bar coded labels.