Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?

2008-07-17 09:23:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:19:40 -0400
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 07/17/2008
09:03:52
AM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > My NetWorker server somehow becames do incredibly corrupt, that even a

> > mmrecov didn't help (I think it's actuallly an OS issue, as my server
> > would slow down so much that NW woulld lose connectivity to itself,
the
> > console would shut down, a couple times it even rebooted. Anyway
....). So
> > I have completely rebuilt my NW server, manually adding clients, jobs,

> > etc.
> >
> > I used to have a set of directives, that would ignore certain open
files
> > (temp files, locks, etc). Unfortunately, during my attempts at fixing,
> > had to mmrecov my old server with an older tape, and they all got
written
> > over. But I have other bootstrap tapes from before the corruption
started,
> > that should have the directives on them.
> >
> > SO my question - how can I retrieve *just* the directives from my old
> > bootstrap tape? I don't trust the validity of the mm database (hence
my
> > clean break, and re-install, and Tech Support concurred), but I really

> > don't feel like re-entering all the directives. So is there any way to

> > restore just the directives, and re-direct them to a new directory?
>
> You do seem to have gone about this the hard way.

Well, anybody can do it the easy way. :-)

> To recover your nsrdb database you do need to run mmrecov, since
> /nsr/nsrdb is backed up as part of the bootstrap. I don't quite
> understand why you have had to reconfigure all this stuff by hand.

We didn't trust the mmrecov. Also, the boss said "Don't use the mmrecov;
do it clean". So I said, "Yes, sir". :-)

> You could have just run mmrecov, renamed the recovered nsrdb
directories,
> then blown away the media database (mm directory) if you didn't trust
it.

Ah, well. It's done now.

> To do this now you need to run mmrecov. You could mmrecov to a different

> server and copy the directives from there, or you could shut down your
> NW server, move the existing nsr directories to safety and mmrecov to
> that. When you have the info you need, you can just move the old
> directories back in to place.

OK ... I actually still have the old server there. If I:

1. shut down the new server
2. turn on the old server
3. do a mmrecov on the old server
4. shutdown the old server
5. turn on the new server
6. copy over ... which file(s) ... from the old server to the new? I see
many small files under nsrdb; would I open them until I found the
directives, and the copy/paste into the GUI? I can't tell from the
filenames which file contains the directive(s).

Thanks