Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?

2008-07-17 09:06:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:03:52 +0100
MIchael Leone wrote:
My NetWorker server somehow becames do incredibly corrupt, that even a mmrecov didn't help (I think it's actuallly an OS issue, as my server would slow down so much that NW woulld lose connectivity to itself, the console would shut down, a couple times it even rebooted. Anyway ....). So I have completely rebuilt my NW server, manually adding clients, jobs, etc. I used to have a set of directives, that would ignore certain open files (temp files, locks, etc). Unfortunately, during my attempts at fixing, I had to mmrecov my old server with an older tape, and they all got written over. But I have other bootstrap tapes from before the corruption started, that should have the directives on them.

SO my question - how can I retrieve *just* the directives from my old bootstrap tape? I don't trust the validity of the mm database (hence my clean break, and re-install, and Tech Support concurred), but I really don't feel like re-entering all the directives. So is there any way to restore just the directives, and re-direct them to a new directory?

You do seem to have gone about this the hard way.

To recover your nsrdb database you do need to run mmrecov, since /nsr/nsrdb is backed up as part of the bootstrap. I don't quite understand why you have had to reconfigure all this stuff by hand. You could have just run mmrecov, renamed the recovered nsrdb directories, then blown away the media database (mm directory) if you didn't trust it.

To do this now you need to run mmrecov. You could mmrecov to a different server and copy the directives from there, or you could shut down your NW server, move the existing nsr directories to safety and mmrecov to that. When you have the info you need, you can just move the old directories back in to place.