Networker

Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?

2008-07-17 08:47:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can I restore *just* directives?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:43:00 -0400
On Jul 17, 2008, at 8:22 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:

My NetWorker server somehow becames do incredibly corrupt, that even a
mmrecov didn't help (I think it's actuallly an OS issue, as my server
would slow down so much that NW woulld lose connectivity to itself, the console would shut down, a couple times it even rebooted. Anyway ....). So
I have completely rebuilt my NW server, manually adding clients, jobs,
etc.

I used to have a set of directives, that would ignore certain open files (temp files, locks, etc). Unfortunately, during my attempts at fixing, I had to mmrecov my old server with an older tape, and they all got written over. But I have other bootstrap tapes from before the corruption started,
that should have the directives on them.

SO my question - how can I retrieve *just* the directives from my old
bootstrap tape? I don't trust the validity of the mm database (hence my
clean break, and re-install, and Tech Support concurred), but I really
don't feel like re-entering all the directives. So is there any way to
restore just the directives, and re-direct them to a new directory?

Move the recovered /nsr/res file to a different machine, install the same version of NetWorker you have in production. Keep the other server off-line (so it doesn't shut down the production server due to a license conflict) and you should be able to see the directives and copy and paste them to a text file.