Networker

[Networker] Question about incremental backups

2008-07-15 16:05:16
Subject: [Networker] Question about incremental backups
From: Nicole Skyrca <nskyrca AT SYR DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:01:20 -0400
Hello,
We have an application that stores some information in an Oracle
database, and some information in a filesystem on the application
server.  Because of this, we have to have a point in time backup of the
database and the filesystem on the application server at the same time
when the application and database are both down.  We do this by
scheduling a job that shuts down the database and application, does a
backup of the database (with RMAN) and takes a snapshot (using Solaris
fssnap command) of the filesystem on the application server (/usr/local)
and then we back up the snapshot (/usr/localsnapshot) with Networker.
The backup of the database takes less time than the backup of the
snapshot, so we bring the application up right after the database backup
is done, and let the backup of the snapshot run.

We want to do a full backup of /usr/local once a week and incremental
backups the rest of the week.  We only do one full backup of
/usr/localsnapshot a week.  The /usr/local filesystem is 300 GB, so when
we do a full backup, we essentially have to backup 600 GB of data, that
is the same data.  Is there a way to get around having to do a full
backup of /usr/local, and have the incremental backups be based on
/usr/localsnapshot instead?

Hopefully that scenario/question makes sense.

Thanks,
Nicole