Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on upgrading from 7.2.2?

2008-07-08 11:59:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on upgrading from 7.2.2?
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:52:34 +0200
Rodney Rutherford wrote:

Others have answered most of the questions, I will address the OS issue.

Yes, you do need to go to RHEL 4 or 5 on the storage nodes.  I would also
recommend going to Solaris 10 on the server.

I disagree about the RHEL part.

I've just upgraded to 7.4sp2, and both server and storage node run RHEL 3AS, without any problems.

Also EMC's "Information Protection Software Compatibility Guide" shows that client, server and storage node are supported on RHEL3....

regards,

Dennis

George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
07/07/2008 05:34 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond to
George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>

<NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
cc

Subject
[Networker] Advice on upgrading from 7.2.2?

Hi,

Sorry to beat on a topic that has probably been hammered many times over, but I've been out of the loop for quite some time now, and need a boost to get caught up.

We need to upgrade our 7.2.2 release (please, no laughs - ah, yeah), running on Solaris 9. We use two snode servers (each runs RH Linux ES 3 with NW 7.2.2).

1. Can someone recommend which is the most recent stable NW release to upgrade to?

We rely on cloning a lot. I remember hearing some mischief a while ago
about bugs with all that stuff in later releases and wanted to avoid any such nightmares, hence one of the reasons for postponing, but that was probably fixed a long time ago, though. Also, I've heard nwadmin is gone, but doesn't take too long to get up and running with the new interface (much better capabilities), whatever that is?

2. Will it be necessary to upgrade to 7.3.x first and then to 7.4.x?
3. Will we need to upgrade our clients immediately, say, before upgrading the server? Would be kind of a pain to have to do that the same day as the server upgrade. 4. Will we need to upgrade our snode OS, too, or just the NW version on there? 5. Any particular gotchas on the upgrade? We have about 15 GB of free space, and our largest index is about 2 GB, media database is about 257 MB with about 12 GB of total index usage.

6. Guess we'll need a new enabler code?

Last time we went from 6.x to 7.x we had some weirdness with one enabler code that kept disabling itself. That was finally resolved with a no expiration date code, and then we had another problem that was caused by the old serial number (a legacy from the original release way back) not matching the new SN format that was adopted in later releases. That was finally fixed. Sheesh! Hope that frustration doesn't happen again this go around.

Thanks.

George

D. Voetelink
UNIX Systems Administrator

Energy research Centre of the Netherlands
Facilities Department - Automation Services

Petten, Netherlands

e-mail : voetelink AT ecn DOT nl
phone  : (+31) 224 564738