Networker

Re: [Networker] Disc Backup Tier licensing

2008-06-30 04:07:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disc Backup Tier licensing
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:02:57 +0200
Hi,
regarding the DiskBackup Option Licenses, below is the relevant part of the EMC OSS Price- and License Guide. It shows, that you need to count ALL disks utilized for backups in your datazone, the total capacity ist the license you need. Regarding VTL and DBO licensing comparison, the relation of these two prices is the same regardless whether it is Sun EBS or EMC NetWorker. You are right, the base license for the 10TB VTL cost more than the 10TB DBO. For AVAMAR speeking, the client software of the actual 7.4.2 NW Release already contains the Avamar code.

regards -attila

--------------------
NetWorker DiskBackup Option
Licensing
• Five Tier model based on capacity, in TB.
• Tier of License is based on capacity of disk utilized for backup in the entire datazone.
Notes
• Available for Windows, Unix and Linux Systems
• Licenses are stackable. (You can add 2TB in addition to 1 TB to get a 3TB capacity).
--------------------------

tkimball schrieb:
Yes, the tier purchased is for maximums - you don't need all of them.

Interesting though.  Did this 'largest volume' portion of the license change
after 7.1.x?  We were told by Sun, STK, and EMC at the time (circa 2004) that
it was total disk in use, so we needed the Tier 5 license (greater than 50 TB
aka unlimited use).

Not sure if I'd be mad or not if this was wrong, since we do have individual volumes larger than 10 TB anyway (VxFS of course - remember, this was pre-ZFS). Now we basically have full power to add as much disk as we please, within server and device license restrictions.
It's even more curious that Sun EBS VTL licensing for 10 TB is nearly 50% more
than a comparable DBO option ($10K vs $7.5K List).  Even more reason why those
of us deeply in adv_file are not likely to upgrade anytime soon; I'd rather
wait for Avamar to finish integrating into the Networker code base.

--TSK

-----
Tim Kimball, Sungard/BRASS

Donovan Obrien wrote:
The tier license limit is the largest volume that you can use as a DiskBackup volume, nothing to do with total storage.

So with your 10 TB storage, you will only need a Tier3 license if you plan on using a volume greater than 6TB. If you make 20 volumes of 500GB each then you only need a Tier1 license.

|This was sent by t.s.kimball AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com