Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)

2008-06-27 11:01:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:57:02 -0400
If you take a look at the Readme.txt file on IBM's ftp site (use the /Latest,
not WHQL):

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Windows/Win2003/Latest/

4) Version 6.1.6.2 and later versions of the device driver have an option for
enforcing file names for
   tape drives that will persist across reboots of the operating system.  For
example, if your tape drive
   has the name \\.\tape3 and the persistent naming option is used, then
\\.\tape3 will be reserved for
   use by that device after an operating system reboot.  To take advantage of
this feature, place a DWORD
   value in the registry called PersistentNaming and assign it a value 1 at:

   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ibmtp2k3

   and reboot your system.

This isn't "Persistent binding" because the issues in Windows aren't related to
FC binding. Even if devices are correctly setup to persistent bind, they will
still have reordering issues under Windows. The issue is the Window Plug & Play
driver will dynamically assign storage devices names starting with \\.\Tape0,
etc.. Once you modify this registry setting the devices will show up as
\\.\Tape<SerialNumber> which will persist.

There is a similar fix on technet for non-ibm drivers. Again, it doesn't have
anything to do with FC binding (the reason for confusion is that under unix
persistent binding and persistent naming are the same, but not in windows)

For windows 2003:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873337

For Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889330/

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139