Networker

Re: [Networker] Benefits of 7.4 SP2 with Capacity License

2008-06-26 16:16:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Benefits of 7.4 SP2 with Capacity License
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 15:10:30 -0500
Hello,
If you bring down the VTL at the remote site that has robotics control, it
is going to affect any other VTL based on that hardware, but what are the
odds of repeated downtime on VTL ?
If you create physical tapes at remote site, then having one remote
external physical Tape drive that can talk to the SN will preserve your
restore capabilities.
I might prefer the Dedupe appliance  as it can offer high availability
like VTL  with simpler configurations.
HTH

brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
06/26/2008 02:56 PM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Graeme Cowie wrote:
> Hi Networker,
>
> <snip>
>
> We have recently upgraded from Networker 7.3.3 to 7.4.2 on Windows, we
> have a number of general and dedicated storage nodes based at two sites
> where we have an EMC Disk Library 710, each Disk Library has a 128 slot
> ADIC 2000 configured.
>
> <snip>
>
> Under 7.3 we had to assign the configured VTL's to a storage node at
each
> site that would act as a controller for all the other storage node
drives,
> however if we shutdown the storage node at the remote site that has the
> VTL config - Networker then has no control over the library and
therefore
> we can't backup or restore anything while the storage node is offline
> unless we re-attach and re-config the VTL to another storage node.
>
> Now that we are on a capacity license, would it be feasible and
beneficial
> for us to create multiple VTL's on the Disk Libraries and assign them to

> multiple storage nodes per site?  This I think would resolve the single
> point of failure and give us flexibility. As I understand it I can now
> create as many VTL's as I like.

> Regards,
>
> Graeme

We have a similar arrangement.  In our case we have a single site with 4
EDL 740's with an ADIC i2000 configured as the VTL.  We have multiple
storage nodes with access to the VTL - there are dedicated drives for each
storage node - but the networker server controls the "robotics" for the
VTL.  We are prepping for a reconfig and for the upgrade to 7.4.2 from
7.3.3 - in addition to the licensing issues we are contemplating having a
storage node associated to the EDL control the robotics rather than the NW
server.  Any thoughts on one way or the other would be appreciated.

Thanks!

|This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

type