Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to 7.4sp2

2008-06-23 02:24:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to 7.4sp2
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 01:11:56 -0500
Just to add...

I just upgraded from 7.2.1 on a 280R, 2x750mhz cpu, Solaris 9, to 7.4.2 on a
T5240 (smallest version added 8gb of RAM = 16GB ram and 5 HBA's).

We used ZFS for our /nsr volumes (50gb) and snapshot the volume before we
started upgrade, big time saver.  We had to rsync the data from our
production server multiple times while we worked to resolve issues.  7.4.2
rearranges the index files under /nsr from 7.2.1 so after you start 7.4
rsync can't resync the data up quickly...  ZFS rollback let us undo these
changes and do a fresh rsync.

Issue #0 - no NMC's gst wouldn't start:
  We couldn't get NMC to install on Solaris 10u4 so far on the Solaris
machine, needed to install this on a Windows server, have not come back
around to fix this issue, but still wanted to note it as we gave up valuable
time trying to resolve this.

Issue #1 - HBA port speed mismatches server - drives:
  The 2x4gb HBA's were put onto the 4gb switches, the SL500 + 6 LTO IV
drives were on the 2gb switches.  This caused multiple "goofyness" issues
within Solaris, our controller ports would come and go from cfgadm, drives
would show configured but state failed.  Switching both ports onto the 2gb
switches fixed the issue.  Issue could be, most likely speed mismatches
aren't allowed, or possibly ISL traversal issues.

Issue #2 - Add enabler to 7.2.1 before migrating /nsr:
  No enabler ran.  We started up 7.4.2 and it disabled EVERYTHING.  Needed
to put an enabler code on 7.2.1 before we did the rsync.

Issue #3 - Novell must die...:
  Novell Netware 4.11 and Netware 5.x will not backup.  This may be an issue
with the version of Netware client but I doubt it.

Issue #4 - Oracle licensing changes:
  Oracle licenses changed, our D6 licenses needed to become D35's, then we
ran into some funky error messages about exceeding our maximum of 0 D35
licenses until we deleted our D6 ones.  Use the Networker license command to
backup your licenses before doing this though, so you can get those licenses
converted to real ones.  This may have happened with our Lotus Notes client
as well, getting lots of enablers from PS temporarily resolved.

Issue #5 - Make sure expected failures don't suddenly start working!:
  The backups on the weekend ran fast enough that it started up again on
Sunday.... will need to fix this.

Other issues:
  The lack of sjdirtag interface has broken a few of our scripts as well...
will need to figure this out.
  VSS is not all the same, not sure why some hosts will do a VSS backup for
free and others say we're not licensed.
  2 out of 100 clients not including the Novell servers ran into unique
issues, we've not resolved these yet, but looks like a 7.4.2 client
(windows) upgrade may be worthwhile solution.

Other notes:
  Installing the 7.4.2 client on a windows host let us back it up with VSS
for free onto our 7.2.1 server... (nice bug!)

Hope this issue list helps someone else out...

Alec