Networker

[Networker] Sol10, Emulex LP1002 and Sc10K drive ordering

2008-06-17 12:56:21
Subject: [Networker] Sol10, Emulex LP1002 and Sc10K drive ordering
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:49:37 -0400
We've got one NW server and a storage node - both on Solaris 10.  The
two systems share a sc10K with 10 drives.  Several of the drives are
shared with DDS.  Since our current storage node's server hardware is
going end of life, we're replacing it with a new server.

So, we've got the new storage node installed with Solaris 10 update
5/08.  The HBAs are Emulex LP11002 with the latest EMC supported
firmware using the Sun Emulex drivers.

The SNC connected to the shared drives should be presenting the drives
as 0cbn, 1cbn, 2cbn, 3cbn.  This is the order the old storage node and
the NW server see them in.  The new storage node, however, sees the
drives as 3cbn, 2cbn, 1cbn, 0cbn.

Has anyone ever seen something like this?  My gut says that as long as
the addressing is persistent, the order doesn't matter.  My gut also
says that an unexplained drive ordering may cause problems - like the
addressing unexpectedly changing to be 0cbn, 1cbn, 2cbn, 3cbn.  Does
anyone have any thoughts about what is happening?

Thanks.

Teresa