Networker

Re: [Networker] are indexes skipped during backup of networker server

2008-06-10 18:14:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] are indexes skipped during backup of networker server
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:09:51 +0100
mark wragge wrote:
Is it true that a flat file backup of the networker server will automatically skip the client indexes?

Yes.

accomplished - is it through a directive that is applied automatically?

The directive is a .nsr or nsr.dir file in the index directory for each client.

Has this always been the case with Networker in both a Unix and Windows
environment?

Yes, always.

I wanted to restore the whole indexes folder to a disk and when I did this the
indexes were all empty although the folder structure was intact. I am aware
that i can restore indexes using nsrck -L7 but this was not how I wanted to
restore the networker server OS.

The nsrck -L7 method is the only way. Backing up the indexes as flat files would not result in a consistent backup (since these files are part of a database), even if you override the directive. The only way this would be consistent would be if NetWorker was shut down, but then you would not be able to use NetWorker on this server to back them up.