Networker

Re: [Networker] Index issue

2008-06-03 18:02:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index issue
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 22:54:56 +0100
Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: [Networker] Index issue, Jim Buitt said (at 11:25am on Jun 3,...:

Won't I have to merge my old index directory with my new one?  If so,
how would I go about doing so?  I imagine I'd have to shut down
Networker, move /nsr_index to /nsr_index.new, recreate the /nsr_index
directory, mount it and then somehow merge the old information with the
new (perhaps with nsrck?)

Merging indexes used to be nearly impossible for customers, though I've
heard that Legato had a way to do it and could perform the task for a
charge.

No you're confusing this with merging media databases. Merging indices is very easy. Backup an index to tape, then swap your index directories (probably need to restart NW) then merge using nsrck -L7.