Networker

Re: [Networker] Split Save Sets

2008-06-02 13:05:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Split Save Sets
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:58:22 +0000
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:43:14AM -0400, Graeme Cowie wrote:
> Hi Networker Gurus,
>
> We have recently noticed that om some of our systems we are experiencing
> what I can only term as 'split savsets' of 2Gb each in size here's an
> example...
>
> 005001         host1           29/05/08 22:56:51 2000 MB 2050961005 cb
> full <1>/hrd06tst
> 005001         host1           29/05/08 22:56:52 2000 MB 1983852226 cb
> full <2>/hrd06tst

I've only seen the old "continuation" savesets in 3 cases:

#1 Old clients (pre 6) did this all the time.  They couldn't handle 2GB
   files.

#2 There's an NSR server setting of "SS cutoff size".  But this isn't
   supposed to work on modern clients, and it shouldn't be the cause of
   something affecting only some backups.

#3 If you're testing anything, I've often heard of Legato distributing
   test binaries to customers that were debug builds.  Those commonly
   had the 2GB session cutoff as well.  I haven't heard of that
   happening with EMC recently, but I suppose it's possible.

Other than those 3, I don't know what the cause would be.  I've heard of
some other cases, but didn't see followups that pointed to the reason.

> We are running AIX 5.3 and I'm almost certain that the problem is related
> to a ulimit resource issue.

What information points to that?  Can you make it not happen by raising
the limits?  (file size or others?)

--
Darren