Networker

Re: [Networker] LTOIV DEVICE DRIVER

2008-05-30 14:52:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTOIV DEVICE DRIVER
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 14:48:13 -0400
Well since it's working on two of my machines, I would have to beg to
differ. Why would it have to support it anyway? All it does is instead of
using Microsoft Plug-n-Play driver that dynamically maps devices to
\\.\Tape0, etc and isn't necessarily consistent across reboots and instead
uses \\.\Tape<serial_#>. Since inquire sees it with that name and jbconfig
see it that way, it just works. I haven't used the gui auto-config, so it
could be having issues there.

Under windows, normal fiber channel and scsi "persistent binding" accomplish
nothing since all that does is make the device the same at the driver level.
However since the actual device in windows is created by the windows
plug-n-play driver, even if the device is consistent, there is no guarantee
that the higher level \\.\Tape0 will be. Using IBM's tape driver or windows
hotfix changes the behavior and resolves the problem.

I can't imagine running a windows server or storage node without doing that.
Without it, ff the reboots always are in the same order, the devices tend to
stay the same, but if a drive fails for example and you reboot, the other
drives will be renumbered.