Networker

Re: [Networker] Fw: [Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?

2008-05-29 11:41:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Fw: [Networker] Parallelism of "backup clone" pool devices?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:34:10 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
05/29/2008 11:07:12 AM:

> As it was explained to me, if you have 5 drives (for example only) you
> will want this setting at 4 - that way you will always have one free
> drive in case you need to do a restore and won't have to abort other
> backups.

Since you do backups much more often than restores (hopefully), doing this
means that you have a tape drive sitting idle for the majority of the
time, waiting in case you need to do a restore. Seems like a waste of
resources to me ...