Networker

Re: [Networker] The volid on tape and the one in media base is not the same!

2008-05-27 14:21:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] The volid on tape and the one in media base is not the same!
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 20:16:45 +0200
On 2008-05-27 18:32, Davina Treiber revealed:

DT> Solaris needs persistent binding from the WWNN to the SCSI address, so
DT> this depends on the HBA used.

To my knowledge, this statement is incorrect. We don't use persistent
binding or any other tweaks to run our networker installation, which is
running on Solaris 10.

First, when a reconfigure is done, the tape devices found are mapped into
the /dev/rmt device tree. These device files will remain there until
removed. If you add more tapes or replace a tape drive with one that has a
different WWNN, it will create a new device file/number for that drive and
leave the old one untouched.

Furthermore, we have found that if drives are using the same WWNN, SOlaris
will always map them in the same order for each reconfigure (after erasing
everything in /dev/rmt). Although, our drives never change WWNN since our
Spectra T950 gives them this address based on their location in the
library chassi, even though they are direct fabric attached LTO-4 drives.

//Oscar

Ps. Why did Sony even bother releasing SAIT-2?
Three times the media cost as LTO-4 and not even
half the throughput.. And considering the piss-poor
track record of SAIT-1... :P