Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...

2008-05-22 12:38:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...
From: Long Nguyen <lnguyen AT CALPOLY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:23:15 -0700
Valdis Kletnieks,

Very good question and this question I already asked EMC Networker Tech
support
about a year ago when I upgraded my NW server and all clients from 7.2 to
7.3.
And I confirmed that it works.

1. The NW client is backward compatible with the server version. Meaning you
    can upgrade the clients with 7.4 first or decided upgrade later. Then NW

    server can be upgraded.

2. Again, your 7.1 is still work with the NW server 7.4 version since it's
backward
   compatible.

regards,
long

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT vt DOT
edu>
wrote:

> So I inherited a fairly large (300 clients backing up to an SL8500) 7.2
> server, and we have some LTO-4 tape drives on order, which apparently
> need 7.3.3 or later to support, so I may as well upgrade to "latest and
> greatest".  I've got the media, the documentation, the licenses, and all
> that.
>
> I found a nice blurb about the auto-ambush client upgrade on page 45 of
> the Install guide, and quickly dismissed that as a non-starter in our
> environment.
>
> What I *can't* find is any clear statement about client versus server
> release levels - in particular:
>
> 1) If the server is at 7.2, will a 7.4 client work if they upgrade first?
> 2) Once the client goes to 7.4, what's the oldest client that will still
> be supported? I think I've got a few 7.1 clients still out there...
>
> Any "you idiot, read page NN of the Foo Guide" replies would be greatly
> appreciated... :)

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at

Support environmentally friendly transportation and fight global warming and
high gas prices by bicycling, the most affordable, zero emissions and
healthy way to get around, and an enjoyable way to make a positive
difference. Plus, you'll arrive refreshed and ready to take on the day!
--
Long Nguyen
email: lnguyen AT calpoly DOT edu