Networker

Re: [Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...

2008-05-22 12:22:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] NW 7.2->7.4 upgrade - clients...
From: Venkat Tudi <venkat.tudi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:18:58 -0400
Higher version Server can backup lower version clients. But I also found out
that Lower Version Server can also backup Higher version Client.
EMC was pushing us to ugrade the clients first then the Server to the latest
level due to some unwanted behaviour. For Ex Stale processes, or Group is
still in run state even after the backup is finished.
Currently we are at 7.3.3
-Venkat

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT vt DOT
edu>
wrote:

> So I inherited a fairly large (300 clients backing up to an SL8500) 7.2
> server, and we have some LTO-4 tape drives on order, which apparently
> need 7.3.3 or later to support, so I may as well upgrade to "latest and
> greatest".  I've got the media, the documentation, the licenses, and all
> that.
>
> I found a nice blurb about the auto-ambush client upgrade on page 45 of
> the Install guide, and quickly dismissed that as a non-starter in our
> environment.
>
> What I *can't* find is any clear statement about client versus server
> release levels - in particular:
>
> 1) If the server is at 7.2, will a 7.4 client work if they upgrade first?
> 2) Once the client goes to 7.4, what's the oldest client that will still
> be supported? I think I've got a few 7.1 clients still out there...
>
> Any "you idiot, read page NN of the Foo Guide" replies would be greatly
> appreciated... :)

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at