Networker

Re: [Networker] reporting volumes on retention

2008-05-16 12:24:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] reporting volumes on retention
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:18:40 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] reporting volumes on retention, ianc said (at...:

I need to cross charge for the amount of data held on retention at a per
GB rate. What I don't know, is to how to work out how much data we have
on retention? Hopefully, I don't need to go through the whole index - as
some of it is on tape itself, and it would probably take forever to do -
and I need to do it every month.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, but it sounds like you need
to determine how much data one or more of your backup clients has backed
up.

If that's the case, one place to start would be with the mminfo command.
Look at the "totalsize" attribute.  For example:

$ mminfo -ot -q 'client=dogbert.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu' \
        -r 'savetime,level,totalsize,nfiles' | head -n 10
  date     lvl      total nfiles
 01/29/06 full  931985788 8027
 01/29/06 full  235579736 4057
 01/29/06 full 2605812548 20990
 01/29/06 full 1262993776 40250
 01/29/06 full  903708304 37049
 01/29/06 full  183948472 5509
 01/29/06 full  121711972 2654
 01/29/06 incr   28845060   20
 01/29/06 incr   28888496   59

To get the number you're looking for, just report totalsize and then add
the numbers up using whatever method you like:

$ mminfo -ot -q 'client=dogbert.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu' \
        -r 'totalsize(22)' | add-column.awk
# of lines not matching: 0
# of lines matching    : 2568
# of lines total       : 2568
Total of the lines     : 5.73645e+11

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)