Networker

Re: [Networker] Back in the Saddle Again aka scanner woes

2008-05-14 15:44:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Back in the Saddle Again aka scanner woes
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:38:52 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Back in the Saddle Again aka scanner woes, Scotty...:

Many thank to all the support from this list. Tim nails it directly! After installation of the patch he recommended I have been able to run scanner and mmrecov. Life is good again.

It's still a bit confusing to me how my predecessor was able to do basically the same install on an E-450 without any patches or drivers added to
Solaris 9 out of the box. I'm guessing he may have overlooked that part
of the procedure in his documentation. I'll never know since that system
is toast.

This is just a guess, but I'm guessing that your predecessor didn't apply
the patch but *did* tweak the st.conf so that settings were valid for your
drives.

In the last few years, it's become less important to do that *if* you keep
up to date with the patch, because Sun has been rolling good default
support for modern drives right into the st module itself.  By applying
the patch, you likely ended up with the same settings that your
predecessor had by tweaking st.conf.

Running

        strings /kernel/drv/st

will give you an idea of what drive types the st module has built in
settings for.  Using the "config" argument to mt that I mentioned earlier
will actually show you what st parameters are being used for that drive.

Jerome provided a good tip about being able to use mt from Solaris 10 on
Solaris 9.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)