Networker

[Networker] Back-to-back 10Gb

2008-05-12 17:29:36
Subject: [Networker] Back-to-back 10Gb
From: Kevin West <kevin.west AT UNE.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 17:23:21 -0400
Hi People

Just a quick question to see if this is possible.

We have two server rooms (lets call them room A and room b).

All the backup infrastructure is in room A (Server, Tape library & D2D unit).

The network connection between the to locations at the moment is not the
best. Which is slowing the backups down as the amount of systems and data in
room B increase.

My plan is to put a storagenode with D2D unit in room B to backup the
systems locally first. Then Clone/Stage the data to the tape library in room A.

There is an unused SC fibre between rooms (no one tell our network people of
my plan).

My question is can I use the SC fibre as a back-to-back connection (direct
connection between server & storagenode) using 10Gb's network cards and can
the Clone/Staging data be directed to use this only?

Thanks in advance.
Kev