Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed on directive

2008-05-12 11:31:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed on directive
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:26:53 -0500
Hello,
Usually, i write them this way on Windows platform
<<"D:\HOME">>
+skip: * .mp3
However, yours might work as well, just test it.
HTH

MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
05/12/2008 10:18 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [Networker] Advice needed on directive

Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 05/12/2008
11:01:59
AM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > I have a question ... I have a number of MS SQL servers that I backup
> > using the NW Module for SQL 5.1, nightly. I also backup the rest of
the
> > filesystem (i.e., non databases) weekly. And of course, I always get
"File
> > Open" messages when backing up the databases and lock files. I need
> > therefore to make a directive to skip those. BUt how to make one that
only
> > skips those files if doing a filesystem backup, and to ignore the
> > directive if I'm using the NW Module to get a hotbackup?
> >
> > I remebering reading that I should always try to apply Global
Directives,
> > to avoid having a locally defined directive file on a client, that I
may
> > forget is there.
> >
> > So I could use some advice on how to construct and then apply the
> > directive to skip *.MDF and  *.LDF files during filesystem backup
jobs. (I
> > have separate clients and groups for backups using the NW SQL Module).

So
> > I have 2 client definitions for DEV001, for example - one with the
savset
> > of MSSQL and and with a saveset of ALL, and 2 separate groups, one
with
> > each of the client definitions.
> >

> It's simple. You make a directive to skip the database files and use it
> for the filesystem client, but you don't apply this directive to the
> client that does the database backup.

See, this is where I think I've been getting confused ... I just checked,
and there is a directive called "SQL DB files", and another called "NT
Standard directives". What I had been doing (since I was unclear about
directives) was following our previous setup, in which:

saveset SQLDB: and directive "SQL DB files" (which state to skip *.MDF and

*.LDF, but only on drive C:)

saveset ALL and directive "NT standard directive", which apparently does
nothing ....

I guess instead I want saveset ALL and a directive to skip *.MDF and *.LDF

on *any* drive, since we usually standardize on drive S: as our SQL DB
drive (but not always, meaning there are older machines with the MDF files

on drive D:)

So I guess I need a directive to skip *.MDF and *.LDF on any mapped (read:

mounted) filesystem on the client.

Would that be just:

  +skip: *.ldf *.LDF *.mdf *.MDF

and remove the  line <<"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\Data\">> that now preceeds the above in in my "SQL DB files"
directive now? That would skip those files on any mounted/mapped
filesystem?

And so my client definitions would be"

saveset MSSQL: and no directives
saveset ALL and the directive from above, which skips those files anywhere

in the filesystem?

Thanks!

type