Networker

Re: [Networker] How to query for whether a volume is mounted?

2008-05-06 13:01:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to query for whether a volume is mounted?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 12:55:22 -0400
Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 05/06/2008
12:24:37
PM:

> MIchael Leone wrote:
> > I have a script that deleted cloned savesets, and frees up disk space,
on
> > adv_file devices (I only have enough disk space for one days's backup,
so
> > every day, we run scripts to delete data off the adv-file disk device,

> > that has been cloned to tape [i.e., copies=2]). Problem is, some of my

> > clients are virtual servers, on a cluster (Win2003).
> >
> > So sometimes the disk device is mounted on NODE1, and the volume is
> > NWSERVER.001.RO, and sometimes the disk device is mounted on NODE2,
and so
> > the volume is NWSERVER.002.RO, depending on which node is hosting the
> > virtual server. And only 1 volume is mounted at a time, of course.
> >
> > So I'd like to query NW, and ask which one of those 2 volumes are
mounted,
> > and issue a "nsrstage -v -C -V %tapevol%" accordingly.
> >
> > Thoughts? I can't seem to figure out how to do this. this isn't a
mminfo
> > query, but I don't know what type of query it is.
>
> You're approaching this all wrong. Why are your storage node devices
> defined on physical servers when they relate to virtual services?

On Windows, you define the cluster resource (i.e., the disk drive, which
is on my SAN), and then assign it to a virtual server. This virtual server
is then "owned" by a specific physical node. And only the "owner" of the
resource sees it.

So if "SAN2" has a resource of drive X:, and it's hosted on ADMNSAN002,
then node only ADMNSAN002 sees it.

This is the way that EMC told us it *had* to be (on Windows), and they set
it up this way.

Actually, they wanted each physical node to be a storage node, requiring 2
storage node licenses, double space on the SAN, etc. We wanted it just for
the virtual server in the cluster, as you suggest. So, when the virtual
server moves from one to the other, I have to manually dismount the
NetWorker defined volume for the node, and then mount the other NetWorker
defined volume, for the other node.

This is the way that EMC said storage nodes on clusters work on Windows,
if you don't have disk space defined for each physical node (as a storage
node). Believe me, we wanted it your way. :-)

> Surely this causes you a problem of not being able to access the disk
device on
> the passive node?

Not at all. :-) The passive node is just sitting there, and does not
access the disk device. As far as it knows, the disk device does not
exist, since the disk device is assigned to the virtual server, and the
passive node is not hosting the virtual server, nor any of the virtual
servers resources..

> Why not just define the disk device on shared storage
> under the name of the service and then the volume will be the same
always?