Networker

Re: [Networker] Recover can't find volume after "scanner -m"? - SOLVED

2008-05-05 14:11:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recover can't find volume after "scanner -m"? - SOLVED
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:05:32 -0400
So apparently what had happened was ... the saveset I wanted spread across
2 tapes, #1 and #2. Somehow, #2 got deleted from the media db ... and NW
then deleted the *entire* saveset, including the entries on tape #1. So
when I did "scanner -m" on tape #2, I was only getting half the saveset,
and so course, the recover "couldn't find the volume specified".

So I deleted tape #1 from the media db; did a "scanner -i" on both tapes
(sequentially), and then the recover worked.

So I guess the moral of the story is ... when you come across a tape not
in the media db, you may need to do a "scanner -i" on more than one tape,
in case it's a continuation from another tape, and the entire (spanned)
saveset info has been deleted. Luckily, the "scanner -i" did tell me that
this tape #2 was a continuation of tape #1, so I knew which other volume
to scan.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM