Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP questions

2008-04-29 09:16:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP questions
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:12:22 -0500
Hello,
Various methods exists for NDMP backups, if you could attach the Tape
drives directly to the NAS the backup will be lan free and faster,
Depending on the size of the project, FC attached Drives to the Filer may
serve you well as well.
You can backup to the backup server using alternate NDMP method over the
network and it's fast ( especially if the NAS is not superlarge) this
method will eliminate the need to assign tapes directly to the filer (
again if you only have single SCSI Tape lib it may work the best).
Either way you will need NDMP backup client licences ( if its a clustered
nas  then two licences will apply) & depending on how you want to attach a
Tape Lib a Autochanger licence also.Licences are not configured with CPU
in mind, but there is nothing stopping a NAS Vendor if they choose to do
so.
My advice would be to start out attaching the Tape drives to the NAS and
configure NDMP to be Lan Free, there are limitations that may prevent you
from assigning and effectively using same tape drive in clustered
environment also.Generally, speaking one tape drive, one backup session
for NDMP.
You can multiplex and use non NDMP Tape drives in over the network method.
HTH

Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/29/2008 01:46 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] NDMP questions

Hi all,

I've been asked to look into possibly adding a NAS to our environment
and back it up using Networker.  I've never used a NAS before so I have
some basic questions which I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for
me.

I've figured out that I'd use NDMP to back up the NAS device (at this
stage I'm not sure which NAS device we'd be getting).  Looking through
the admin guide it looks like there are a few ways to configure this.  I
think we'd be looking at the local backup, where we connect a tape
library directly to the NAS.

So my first question is, does the tape library have to be a special NDMP
aware library, or can any SCSI library which is supported by Networker
work?  Specifically, we have a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with one DLT-S4
drive which we'd be looking to attach to the NAS.

My second question is to do with licensing.  There are various Tier
level licenses for NDMP client connections based on the number of
processors.  Am I correct in saying that this is the number of
processors in the NAS unit itself?  And, is an autochanger license
required for the library which will be attached to the NAS?

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan