Networker

[Networker] Recover after Retirement - Volumes Leaving Media DB

2008-04-24 14:32:15
Subject: [Networker] Recover after Retirement - Volumes Leaving Media DB
From: Randy Doering <rdoering2 AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:26:57 -0400
Hello, a month or so ago, we retired Networker and switched to Netbackup -
not my decision, we are a merger of 2 organizations.

Well, for the last Networker backups of the various file system
(include /home on an EMC Celerra, NDMP), I increased browse/retentions to
a year, and stored the tapes in a secure place.

Of course, a couple of days ago a user requested a restore of some data
that he had not migrated over to the new /home (NetApp).

I had previously completed a restore of a users home area, by shutting
down Netbackup and bringing Networker back online, browsing for the
necessary tapes, loading them in, and the restore was fine.

This time, Networker sees the tapes loaded, online via nsrjb, after nsrjb -
I -S. Now when I kicked off the restore it says it needs tape 000068, and
tape 000068 is loaded in the LTO3 drive. But Networker continues to
request for this tape to be loaded until it times out with the following
in the daemon.log file:

04/24/08 13:16:16 nsrd: Operation 2 started : Load volume `000068'.
04/24/08 13:16:16 nsrd: media waiting event: waiting for LTO Ultrium-3
tape 000068 on a11ns01
04/24/08 13:25:49 nsrd: [Jukebox `nsr_juke', operation # 2]. Expected
volume `000068' in slot `8'. The actual volume is `<NULL>'.
04/24/08 13:31:16 nsrd: media critical event: waiting for LTO Ultrium-3
tape 000068 on a11ns01

So, tape 000068 is in the media DB, then falls out. mminfo -ar "volume,
location" shows it in, but then following it up after the tape is loaded,
the same command doesn't show the location.

Long shot, I'm sure.

I've done both sjimm command to move the tape in the slot, followed by
nsrjb -I -S, and also the Deposit command from NMC.

Thanks,
Randy