Networker

[Networker] VSS on Windows XP

2008-04-21 18:42:21
Subject: [Networker] VSS on Windows XP
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:34:45 +1000
Hi all,

I'm running Networker 7.4.1 on Windows 2003 Server.

I'm having trouble trying to get Networker to use VSS to backup Windows XP. From the admin guide:

In NetWorker software releases 7.1 and later, if a VSS client license is present (for all Windows operating systems except Vista, which does not require a VSS client license), NetWorker software uses VSS technology to create snapshot backups of volumes and exact copies of files, including all open files.

However I cannot install the VSS client onto XP, so I install the regular networker client. Using this, I always get errors about being unable to backup open files, for example:

* <WARNING> : File C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT could not be opened and was not backed up. (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)

I've tried putting in VSS:*:=only into the Application Information in the client definition but that seems to be ignored. I've tried turning on snapshots in the group definition but then I get the error:

Could not run nsrsnap: The system cannot find the file specified.

I have VSS working fine on my 2003 servers and I have enough VSS client licenses available, but I just can't get it working on XP cients. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan