Networker

Re: [Networker] Conversion 7.2.2 to 7.4 sp1

2008-04-10 20:38:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Conversion 7.2.2 to 7.4 sp1
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:33:59 +1000
I use the license server for all my licenses - it's useful for
determining which licenses are really needed because a host won't check
one out unless it actually needs one..

I have two different types of update enablers setup in the license
server.

So I have one server that started life back at version 5 and is now at
7.2.2 - It continually requests the old 'Update for NetWorker 7' (U8)
enabler from when you go from 6 to 7. I can delete it on the host, and
it checks out soon afterwards, and that's all as expected. All my other
servers started life at 7.1.1 or later so they don't ask for this.

I've upgraded 5 servers from 7.2.2 to 7.3.3 recently and not one of them
has checked out the new 'Update/9' (U9) enabler - I recall  that you
needed U9 if you went from 7.2 to 7.3 / 7.3.1 / 7.3.2, but someone at
emc has realised it was a deterrent to people upgrading to 7.3+ and
dropped it from 7.3.3 onwards, I think I saw this mentioned in the 7.3.3
release notes.

However If I was running the emc support organisation I would still like
people to ring up and ask for the enabler, because then they can keep
tabs on who's upgrading, and the theory at least is that the better
their understanding of the userbase, the better their support will be.

I doubt there's any difference between windows and unix - It's not an
issue for me, but perhaps if someones got the time to test it out it may
help put the licensing question to rest for good.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.