Networker

Re: [Networker] To index save or not?

2008-04-10 11:22:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] To index save or not?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:19:29 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
04/10/2008 11:09:54 AM:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:00:12AM -0400, MIchael Leone wrote:
>
> > of course, but not every week of my retention period (we use a 2 month

> > browse/retention). How does "nsrck -L7" fit into this? If I have to
> > restore a file from 6 months ago (i.e., beyond my retention period),
don't
> > I have to "scanner -m" the tape (if the index is on the tape)?
>
> 'scanner -m' adds information to the media database from the information
> on the volume.

Thought so ...

> Unlike NetBackup, Networker does not delete the media database
> information when a volume expires.  It only does so when the volume is
> actually recycled.  So there should be no need to run 'scanner -m' for a
> local volume.

OK .. .well, in my case, isn't "scanner -m" needed? Because I'm beyond the
retention period, the savesets have expired aand are marked as
"recyceable". If so, I need "scanner -m", yes?

(from now on, I'm setting EOM tape volumes to "readonly", "manual
recycle", and "retention = 10 years". That should alleviate this need for
"scanner -m", since the savesets should not get to the point of being
marked "recycleable"). Normal (i.e., non-EOM jobs) will have my standard 2
month browse/retention, and then those tapes are recycled).