Networker

Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels

2008-04-07 06:23:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels
From: Ian G Batten <ian.batten AT UK.FUJITSU DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:17:34 +0100
On 04 Apr 08, at 1746, Bruce Breidall wrote:
If you want differential or cumulative incrementals (i.e. every
incremental backup contains changed data sine the last full), use level 9. This means on a full system recovery, you only need the full tape and
the latest level 9 tape. You also have to realize that your L9 backups
will get larger every day, depending on the amount of change.

One reason I like L9 is because I can specify a 3 day rotation on
offsite clones (cloning is done daily). If you did an incremental
something other than 9, the offsite rotation would be much more
difficult to manage.

Can you do that inside networker, or are you managing by hand?

ian