Networker

Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels

2008-04-04 12:43:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels
From: Randy Doering <rdoering2 AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:36:03 -0700
> level 1 - Backs up all files that have changed since the most recent full
> backup (considered a level zero).

>If I run a Full and then 6 level 1 backups is that the same as running a Full
>and 6 incrementals.
>F 1 1 1 1 1 1 vs. F i i i i i i

In this case your Level 1 backups always go back to last Level that is less
than the current Level, so all of your Level 1 backups will go back to the
Level 0. To implement the "Incremental actions", you'd need to do a Level 1,
followed by a Level 2, Level 3, etc. I did this with our NDMP backups to make
it "Incremental Like", followed by a Level 1 on Friday which would go back and
get everything since the Level 0 from the weekend.

NDMP backups only do Full and Level. Trying an incremental forces a Full.

Randy