Networker

[Networker] Explain Backup Levels

2008-04-04 11:38:03
Subject: [Networker] Explain Backup Levels
From: tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 11:33:32 -0400
I am trying to understand the differences in backup levels. I have always done
Full and Incrementals.

According to the NWadmin guide:
Incremental - Backs up files that have changed since the last backup,
regardless of level.

level 1 - Backs up all files that have changed since the most recent full
backup (considered a level zero).

If I run a Full and then 6 level 1 backups is that the same as running a Full
and 6 incrementals.
F 1 1 1 1 1 1 vs. F i i i i i i

or does running Level1 capture more changes as the week goes on. So for example
after running a full the Level 1 captures changes made on a Monday when the
backup is run Monday evening. Then Tuesday another Level 1 backup is run
Tuesday evening and caputures Tuesdays changes as well as Mondays?

I'm trying to understand what is the best way to capture only changes made the
day of the backup.