Networker

Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported

2008-04-02 04:37:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsradmin - external editors are not yet supported
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:34:40 +0100
McBeen, Ben wrote:
I was trying to edit/view some of my configurations today, and got this error when running the command:

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin>nsradmin "type:NSR jukebox"
External editors are not yet supported

Anyone have an idea of what this means... or how I get around it? I have found inferences that this is a new change, and that networker no longer accepts changes outside of the java console.

Interesting. I have never seen nsradmin used in this way and when I first saw your message I thought it was a typo. I tried it on a Linux box running 7.2.1 (and also another Linux box running 7.4.1) and it popped up a vi session with the resource in it - extremely nice, and something I will remember for the future.

However - I tried the same thing on a Windows box, also running 7.2.1, and I got the same message as you. From this I draw the conclusion that the syntax you are using is not supported on Windows, in the same way that visual mode is not supported in Windows (and never has been).

I don't think you are seeing something new, just a limitation of the nsradmin implementation on a particular platform.

However: at 7.3.x and above you cannot edit jukebox resources from nsradmin anyway. Well you can, but the changes are ignored. I confess to total ignorance about how this now works, can anyone enlighten me please?